It is safe to say that most people are aware of the increasingly growing environmental issues surrounding waste disposal, today more than ever before. And while both residents and companies are taking their recycling efforts to the next level to help combat this problem, when it comes to materials like copper, many are left wondering how to handle disposing of it.
So what do you do with things like old copper wire or piping? Recycle it! Yes, copper is an entirely recyclable metal that can offer an array of benefits to you, and of course our environment.
The Value Behind Copper
Like aluminum, copper is 100% recyclable and is also the third most commonly recycled metal, behind iron and aluminum. Copper has been recycled and reused for hundreds of years now. Did you know that even today, a large portion of consumer products contain some level of copper? Consider the electronics in your home; copper is a crucial component used in the manufacturing of most household electronics. While scrapped copper isn’t usable right away, following proper processing and preparation, manufacturing companies can use this valuable metal to create new products, rather than turning to raw costly material.
What are the Benefits of Recycling Copper?
Basically, there’s no real disadvantage to bringing your copper and other scrap metals to a metal recovery and recycling company.
Let’s take a look at the many benefits in doing so:
- You’ll earn money! When you drop your scrap metal off at Recycling Specialties, we’ll pay you top dollar for your copper.
- It’s good for the environment! Reusing copper means saving substantial energy that’s otherwise required to mine new copper. These energy savings also equate to conserving natural resources such as oil, gas, and coal, limiting the amount of carbon dioxide that enters the air. Recycling copper produces significantly lower greenhouse gasses than what’s created through mining.
- Bulk drop offs for added convenience! If you’re completing a large commercial project you may have endless scrap metal to dispose of. Drop off your bulk copper and any other scraps in whatever quantity necessary. At Recycling Specialties, we accept it all.
- Keeps this fantastic material out of our landfills! Recycling your copper contributes to smart sustainability efforts as it ensures material is reused for good purpose rather than redirected to our landfills where toxins can be harmful to animals and plants.
- It’s helpful for our economy! The recycling industry contributes to roughly 85000 jobs in Canada, and benefits our financial system in several ways. Copper recycling is only going to positively add to this impact on our economy.
- One’s waste may be someone else’s gold! That old copper piping you have kicking around could actually be melted down into new appliances or jewelry.
- An endless resource! Copper produces no garbage and can be continuously recycled over and over again. The beauty with being able to melt it down, is that it can be made into something new through this continuous cycle, without sacrificing the material
Household Items that Often Include Copper:
- Computer circuit boards and electronic components
- Video game consoles
- Light fixtures
- Extension cords
- Lightning rods
- Air conditioners
- Washing machines and dryers
- Doorknobs, hinges and locks
- Nuts, bolts, screws and washers
As a leading-edge metal recycler for over 50 years, we purchase and broker all variations of metals including of course, copper. We collect, process, recycle, trade and broker ferrous and nonferrous scrap metal offering processed and sorted metal to industries across the globe.
Located in Midland as well as Utopia, just outside of Barrie, we will purchase your scrap metal for top dollar by dropping off your prepared or loose scrap and items at our scaled drop-off and processing location.
Have copper to get rid of? Our friendly, knowledgeable staff are here to help, from the smallest residential client to larger commercial and industrial clients.